Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Child support and cola increase?

I'm a single mom going to school full time. I have sole custody of my daughter. Her bio father (who hasn't seen her in 3 years!) does not exercise his visitation rights.He was order 3 1/2 years ago to pay 77.00 weekly he was making 500.00 dollars a week. I was making about 250.00 dollars/weekly. Recently he appealed the COLA increase and actually had his child support REDUCED. At this very crucial part of my life school is priority set aside from my daughter, I'm trying to be successful and prosper. I live off my student loans to pay my bills. He does have to pay for all her day care fees while I work, but I made it clear I was not working at this point. His wife does have insurance on my daughter. It is unclear of how and why his support was reduced when I do not even have an income now. His point he made was that his job will be laying people off soon so he could not afford the COLA increase. I'm not sure if he submitted his tax return or what. But, it says in the court papers he makes 20,000 a year. Can his wife's income be included because he obviously has access to her money, they have a conjoined bank account. So she will be supporting him while he's laid off. This just doesn't seem fair. By no means am I saying it's his wife's responsibility to support my daughter, but I may feel differently about her income be included if he supported my daughter emotionally not just financially. Can someone please help me or give me suggestions of what to do? We live in upstate NY and my daughter is 4 years old.

0 comments:

Post a Comment